Question
Posted by: Jaco | 2010-02-04

Eggs

Good afternoon Doc!

I just want to know something from you please... Eggs! I read on this website that the average adult must eat 4 eggs a weet. I want to know if I eat 5 eggs a week if it will putt my health in danger? I' m training at the moment and for some time now but I want to increase my protein a little bit. If I eat 1 egg on a slice of brown bread every day (Monday to Friday) will that increase my cholesterol?

The rest of my diet includes... Oats for breakfast, Tuna &  brown rice for lunch, Banana &  apple for mid afternoon snack and then a healty plate of cooked food in the evening.

Thanks a mil!

Dear Jaco
You are going to be eating 7 eggs per week, which is nearly double the recommended egg intake. One boiled egg of 50 g contains 210 mg of cholesterol which represents 70% of the suggested cholesterol intake per day for adults (namely not more than 300 mg per day). Because you will probably also be ingesting cholesterol at your evening meal (meat, etc), I would rather recommend that you find other low-fat, low-cholesterol foods for 3 of the breakfasts (for example fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt contain only 4 mg of cholesterol per 100 g or 100 ml; or legumes like canned or cooked dry beans or lentils or soya which are rich in plant protein and contain no cholesterol at all) and stick to only 4 eggs per week.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-04

Dear Jaco