I heard/read that eating an egg each day for breakfast actually kicks starts your diet in a good way.

Is an egg mayo (low fat) on wholewheat with tomatoe and lettuce ok for breakfast?

Dear Anonymous
According to the SA Heart Foundation, South African adults should not have more than 4 eggs per week because of the high incidence of raised cholesterol levels in this country (one egg yolk contains more or less the entire suggested intake of 300 mg cholesterol for a day). So by all means have boiled or poached eggs 4 times a week for breakfast on wholewheat or low-GI bread toast, but don't have the eggs with mayonnaise if you are trying to lose weight, as the mayonnaise also contains more egg and has a high fat content.

Posted by: André  | 2009-05-25

True that new info on eggs exist. I love eggs and have high colesterol

Reply to Andr&#233 

Thank you, I love my eggs and since I have been eating them each morning I have felt better, lost weight and I dont think a teaspoon of mayo on on egg is going to kill my diet

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

Dear Dietdoc,

Please wake up! Eggs do not raise cholesterol levels! They contain a lot of cholesterol, but does not raise cholesterol levels in humans. Maybe you should try to stay up to date with research that are more curren than the rubbish that have been published in the 1980s and 1990s and that you still religiously believe in.

Dear Anonymous. Please go ahead and eat eggs every morning. It is healthy for you, stabilises blood sugars (therefore the good effects on weightloss), and contain very high quality protein. And have it with mayonnaise if you like - but go for the kind made with canola oil - it' s a much healthier fat than the usual kind that is made with sunflower oil.