Posted by: Joan | 2012-02-29

egg whites are they good for you

My son has heard about this special type of diet that entails eating a lot of egg whites. How many egg whites can you eat per day or per week?

Dear Joan
Egg whites are basically an excellent food. Egg whites are rich in good quality protein, esp albumin, and very low in fat and contain no cholesterol. The fat and cholesterol found in eggs are contained by the egg yolk. However, egg white does not contain any iron or vitamins as found in the egg yolk. Egg whites contains 11.3 g of protein/100g or per 4 egg whites, which represents nearly 19% of the daily protein intake. I would not eat the egg whites at more than one meal a day because one also needs other proteins such as lean meat and fish which not only provide protein, but other essential nutrients such as iron and omega-3 fatty acids. It is important to keep in mind that eating only egg whites as the source of protein in a diet, can lead to deficiencies. Egg whites should not be eaten raw because they contain a so-called antinutrient which can cause vit B deficiency.