Question
Posted by: dw | 2010/04/06

Effexor/Venlor

Hi Doc. In your previous responses to people you have said you dont like Effexor / Venlor, can I ask why? I have been on numerous antidepressants and Venlor is the only one that has helped me. I have weaned off it before with no problem.So why the Effexor bashing?

I don't bash it. I have several bases for concerns about some antidepressants. One is that I am suspicious about how some drugs get promoted to doctors at some times, and am bothered when I start hearing of some being used far more often than other equally effective drugs, even when they have no overwhelming advantages ( NO antidepressant has overwhelming advantages over any other ). I am worried that some docs, especially GPs prescribe a drug because it is fashionable, or promoted by a pretty sales rep, without having any good medical basis for preferring it over alternatives, even where they should be taking into account price and other risk factors.
Also, some drugs do have some risks not typical of all the alternatives, as does Venlor, and I worry that some docs prescribe some drugs willy-nilly, and without taking such factors into account.
Also, and this is very important, as your own comments prove, there is wide individual variation in how each one of us responds to different antidepressants. NO AD is effective in everyone ; none of those on the market is ineffective in everyone. On average, around 60-70 % of people placed on any AD, will improve, and 20 - 30 % won't. So, while it's wise for a doctor to get to know a handful of these drugs well, and have alternatives if the first one tried doesn't prove effective, it is NOT wise to use one drug as first choice in everyone you see. ANd docs who do that tend to blame the patient if their pet AD isn't turning out to be effective, rather than considering alternaives. I suppose I get bothered when some messages imply that someone has been given the false impression that Efexor is higely special and necessary, rather than one of a buffet of alternatives, worth trying in some instances, not worth trying in some, and not yet the Holy Grail.
I'm not at all surprised that you are doing well on Effexor - some people do so, just as some don't.
And similarly with coming off ADS, on any of them, some people seem to have considerable dificulty coming off smoothly and run into problems, and many don't have such problems at all - no drug is entirely free of such potential problems, and on no drug is it inevitable.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/12

Hello, how long i need to take Venlor (for how many days) to find out if it suits me or not? how long does it normally take to improve being on your AD? I was taking it for 5 days only, and there was no improvement yet. its my first time being on ADs, so I dont know much about it. thanks in advance

Posted by: Greece | 2014/03/21

If you are not concerned to become a sexless man, I suppose that you can go for it!

Reply to Greece
Posted by: xplora | 2010/05/02

I''m on Venlor Xr150 as well as Lexapro 10mg and things at this moment are not too bad - BUT I have huge headache problems and jaw stiffness now.

Reply to xplora