Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010-01-14

Effects of the Pill?

I' ve been on the Pill for about 13 years and went of Yasmin (the latest one) in May 09 (I' m 26). There didn' t seem to be any major side effects until December 09: I noticed in September I started to gain a bit of weight (1.5kg), but by December it got a lot worse - I picked up an additional 3.5kg (in 3 months! - total of 5kg in 3-4 months).
My weight has been constant for the last 6 years (follow a low GI diet and exercise regularly), and in the past not even a heavy overindulged Xmas/Holiday would amount to more than 1kg of weight gain.
My skin is also a mess - I get quite severe breakouts, especially around my chin and neck area (close to my hair and ears). I' m really worried, and hope this is just a phase till the last remnants of the pill work itself out of my system. Is this to be expected/normal? Is there anything I can do/change to help the situation?

The Pill may have been controlling your acne and now that you have stopped, it has come out. A few women lose weight on the Pill so the weight gain could be related. You have been off the Pill for more than 6 months, so this is not related to the Pill, but to what your body is normally like.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-01-15