Question
Posted by: Soya Regularly | 2008/09/09

Effects of Soya esp re Cancer &  Weight

Hi Dietdoc

I' d really appreciate your comments on the topic below.

Thanks!

Subject: Effects of Soya esp re Cancer &  Weight
Posted by: Soya Regularly
Message:

Good Afternoon

I have come across different opinions on the effects of soya on human health. There are conflicting opinions with some saying that soya has positive health benefits while others say that soya has adverse health effects especially because it can cause cancer.

It also seems that the effects of soya (positive or negative) differs between males and females.

Are certain persons more prone to suffer the adverse effects of soya consumption due to genetic predisposition, life-style, age, etc?

Also, I have heard that soya consumption can lead to wieght gain. Is this true?

Please can you provide clarity and more information in this regard as I am concerned because I consume soya products at least three times a week.

Thank you!
Date: 8/9/2008

Subject:
Posted by: Cyberdoc
Message:

Dear Soya Regularly
You should actually ask diet doc this question too!
For health benefits of soya see LINKREMOVED.

Soya in itself is not fattening but may be combined with high fat containing ingredients to make it palatable. Soy contains 7 % fat, but in some milk powders this can increase to almost 20%. This article of the FDA seems to me balanced and answers some of your questions - some answers it seems are still not clear even after clinical trials: LINK REMOVED

Because soya contains phyto esterogens I think it is more of benefit to menopausal women.

Date: 8/9/2008

Dear Soya Regularly
I agree that there is controversy regarding the use of soya products in western populations. The American Dietetic Association published a warning that women with oestrogen-sensitive breast cancer or a familial tendency to this type of cancer, should avoid using extracts of soya for the treatment of menopausal symptoms and not to eat excessive amounts of soya products. There is also some evidence that soya used in baby formulas may cause feminisation of male children because soya contains so-called phyto-oestrogens. However soy products have been used safely in the East for hundreds of years and if soya products are used in moderation as part of a balanced diet then there should be no risk involved, unless you are susceptible to oestrogen-sensitive breast cancer. As regards weight gain, it should be kept in mind that any food or kJ-containing beverage has the potential to cause weight gain if used in excess. Once again your ingestion appears to be moderate and this should, therefore, not be a problem. Moderation is the key! If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search using the title of the article I wrote on this subject "SOYA - HEALTHY OR HARMFUL?' you can read more about the pros and cons of soya.