Question
Posted by: Lilo | 2010/12/18

Effects of celestone soluspan on fetus

Hi Dr,

I posted on the paediatrician''s site and was asked to get ur opinion too.

I am 30 wks preg with triplets. Have been taking celestone injections from 27 wks. I have been prescrribed the injections for 8wks, unless I go into labor before.

Dr I wanted to know if taking steroids for so long will have any side effects on my babies. I know I am taking it to help their lung development, but I have no idea what other potential dangers there may be.

Please advise. Many thanks.

The recommendation these days is that you only have one or two courses of steroids, i.e 4 injections in total. There are some animal studies which suggest developmental problems though there is no proof in humans. Discuss this with your gynaecologist.

1