Posted by: Melanie | 2010-01-10

Effects of caffeine on vitamin B in your body

Do you agree that large amounts of caffeine taken in(any form) has an effect of the vitamin B' s in your body.
I am busy with research, and the availably literacy(from the internet) supports my " theory"  or rather the theory that I support, but SA doctors and Pharmacists know nothing regarding this. I would appreciate it if I could have someone who is willing to share a quote that we could add to our research!

Thank You!

I am not aware of any direct negative impact that caffeine will have on the molecular absorption on Vitamin B complex over the cell membrane of the gastro-intestinal tract. Excessive intake of caffeine can however, cause dietry changes that will effect the intake of Vitamin B's. It is also possible that caffeine being a stimulant, will cause the metabolism to increase and food will hence be past through the gastro-intestinal tract faster and vitamins will not be absorb as it should.