Question
Posted by: Anita | 2010/09/06

Effect on eyesight

I have had this problem for many years since being a teenager. I am now 64. It started when I was writing an important exam paper. I get a light flickering in front of my eyes which seem almost like a chain made up of very bright colourful triangular shapes. My vision then seems to get clouded to the sides, for instance, when I look at my hand I can only see it partly. When I try to read half the text is hidden and I have to focus on a portion of text to see it otherwise it is hidden to left and right. I have noticed that this happens when I eat fatty foods, or too much ice cream or anything rich. I seem to think it is quite a common problem but want to know is there any effective treatment for this ailment? It happens at the most inconvenient times and is really frightening. Can this possibly be caused by another source? My big question is whether this can result in a stroke? Please answer me urgently! Thank you!

Hallo Anita
This may be due to a type of migraine ( not all present with headache) where a bloodvessel goes into spasm. This can be prevented with medication and a neurologist would be the right kind of doctor to see for this.
dr Bets

4
Posted by: Anita | 2010/09/09

Thanks for your advice Dr Bets. Just wondered whether the disease could possibly be arteriosclerosis - not sure of the spelling - as it is a family disease.

Reply to Anita
Posted by: CD again | 2010/09/07

Hi Anita
This would not specifically lead to a stroke but you may have underlying blood vessel disease that makes you more prone to strokes.

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/07

Hallo Anita
dr Bets

Posted by: Anita | 2010/09/06

Thank you I have actually found a post on your site which is exactly the problem I have under " ophthalmic migraines"  without the headache and best describes what I get. But I still would like to know whether it could result in a stroke? The reason is that I have had a minor stroke several years ago which has effected my eyesight in a small area to the upper right. I did have these migraines before it happened. I become very anxious when they happen as I worry whether it might turn into a stroke. I have been taking Bayers Aspirin Cardio and wonder whether this would be effective?

Reply to Anita