Posted by: Sincere | 2009-10-01

Effect of smoking on sperm morphology

I have a question with regards to semen analysis which came back with the following results: High sperm count, but only 3% normal sperm morphology.

I am a 38-year old female, very healthy and have never smoked in my life, but my man is a smoker :) The dr said smoking possibly played a role for the sperm morphology to be abnormal. I would like to know if my man stops smoking - how long will it take before he produces enough normal sperms?

Dear Sincere

It is unlikely that the 3% morphology is entirely related to smoking and it is also unlikely that complete cessation of smoking will bring the morphology back to normal. However it may improve morphology slightly but I would believe that the presently accepted standard for morphology if applied in the future would show only a moderate increase in the morphology. However a new test which is now available at our centre which checks for DNA fragmentation which is a lot more accurate with the respect to the effect of smoking can be applied to determine the absolute effect of smoking on the DNA content of the sperm. This test I believe would become more and more routine in sperm analysis in patients who have specific causative factors that are identifiable.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: jema | 2009-10-12

The normal vital Vitamen B' C' E (all vitaments are good). But please ask them for sperm improve. And he must please stop smoking!!! my husband also worked in an environment where the temperature is above 30 degrees (It is in a workshop). HEAT is also not good for the testicles... your husband must shower rather than bath.. Good luck!

Reply to jema
Posted by: hi | 2009-10-08

what vitamins pls?

Reply to hi
Posted by: Jema | 2009-10-07

The average morphology should be 3 to 5%. According to WHO it should be 14%. My husband and I went to the specialist at Vincent Palloti. My husband was a smoker and his Morph was 0%. No chance at all. Smoking played a huge role! he then stopped and the specialist put him on Vitamen tablets and sperm improve. His morph a yeat later went from 0% to 8%!!! the smoking played a huge role! still not pregnant but hopefully soon. I was very releaved!

Reply to Jema