Posted by: Nita Smit | 2011-10-03

Effect of Diabetes on the eyes

My brother is in hospital due to an infection in his blood and diabetes. He has responded well to treatment after a period of 7 days of being badly confused and very ill. After 7 days of treatment he is still not able to see properly. I am concerned as to how long this eye condition can continue before it becomes permanent. What would you advise us to do? His blood sugar level has now gone down to 8.

Uncontrolled diabetes affects the small arteries in the eyes and can cause permanent blindness. It is imperative to keep his blood sugar under control between 3.5 and 6 mmol/dl. To prevent eye damage, he should be informed about his illness by reading up about it and to make an appointment with a dietrician and consult an endocrinologist to establish a good baseline for treatment of his diabetes.