Question
Posted by: TTC | 2012/05/25

Effect of antidepressants on semen?

Do anti-depressants affect the quality of semen? I know it causes problems with ejaculation but I have read that it also affects the sperm quality negatively. Is this true?

Thanks!

Dear TTC

There has been an association noted with the use of antidepressants in sperm quality, it is thought that antidepressants may be linked to DNA damage in the sperm and thereby affecting sperm quality negatively. So yes there is an association between the two. The best way for you to see if it has an effect in your particular case would be to do a semen analysis.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo