Posted by: Young Mother | 2009-06-24

I am wanting to know if there are any government or subsidised places or hospitals that can do an EEG which is reasonable/subsidised. We have no medical aid and I need this test to be done. I have done some research and I need to confirm/erase the possibility that i have TLE or some other form of brain disorder. There are things that are very wrong with me, my reactions, my personality and general mood swings. I have been quoted R1800 cash up front from a neurologist at our local Netcare hospital? Help!!!

ANy competent teaching hospital /Medical school should be able mto have facilties to do an EEG, as should any competently run major state hospital. But you may not be appoaching the problem in the most efficient way. Dont' start with a form of examination, like the EEG, which may or may nor clarify what your problem is ( and ther are MANY possible causes for what you describe ). Rather, instead, see a good neurologts at your nearest medical school or state hospital, or even a psychiatrist ( who can alsor refer you for an EEG if after assessment he thinks it would help. An EEG on its own often produces non-specific reshlts that don't answer any question usefully,

Posted by: anon | 2009-06-24

why dont you call a medi clinic office or hosptial , they should be able to at least give you more info

Reply to anon