Question
Posted by: Liza | 2012-01-11

eczema in adulthood?

Hi doc

I went to a derm for my acne and while there showed her the funny scaly patches on my back and the one on my chest. They are about two shades lighter than my normal skin (I''m black so very easy to tell when hypopigmentation sets in). The patches on my back are so very itchy sometimes. Stuff like Tinaderm has not helped and the patches are increasing n number esp on my back. She has told me it is eczema, a diagnosis I am very surprised at as I am 38 and have never had eczema nor any instances of itchy patches. These patches have been here since Oct most prob. We do have eczema in my family but I have never had it, can there be adult-onset eczema, if so why only as I approach 40?

Also, can eczema be triggered by massive stress levels? I have been intensely depressed and stressed for years and last year it reached ravaging levels. Psychotherapy is not helping, although this year I am committed to trying new therapists as I realise I am nearing breaking point. Tell me, can stress trigger eczema in a person who has absolutely never had eczema before? Thank you Doc.

Liza

Yes, it is possible to develop eczema due to stress. There is environmetal factors that can cause a sudden onset of eczema, as well as factors inside the body (endodgenous eczema). The eczema can be treated with corticosteroid cream and your doctor can prescribe Aterax to treat the itching.