Question
Posted by: Jo | 2012/08/16

Eczema and antibiotics

Hi Dr

I''ve had a few spots of eczema on my upper arms in the past. Just really dry and sometimes flaky spots - no oozing or really bad discomfort. I received a topical ointment for it, and i use it occasionaly, but it has never really bothered me much.

I''ve been sick about two weeks ago and my dr precribed a double dosis of augmentem ( apologies not sure of spelling - 2000mg twice daily) for 7 days.

All of a sudden my whole body is covered with etremely dry, itchy, patches with what looks like mini goosebumps - I''m assuming it is eczema. It is on my back, arms, face, forehead.

Could this be eczema and could it possibly have been triggered by the antibiotics?

(I''ve also been taking a vitamin c and zinc supplement to increase my immune system)

Nothing else have changed diet, perfume,degerant wise.

Rgd

J

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Jo, thank you for the question.

One certainly can have a skin reaction (allergic type) from Augmentin and even an exacerbation of the eczema; your best approach would be to see your family doctor immediately for further treatment and I would also consider a dermatologist referral.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2012/08/21

Hi Jo, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert