Posted by: Remo | 2013-01-17

Eczema and allergy

My son is 11 months 2 weeks and has eczema and allergic to cow''s milk, nuts and eggs. I want to throw a 1st birthday party for him but i dont know what to give or do with his birthday cake? is there a shop where i can buy birthday cake that does not have cow''s milk, nuts and eggs? what can i do? I have been giving him Novalac HA formula but i only see the one for babies younger than a year, what can i give him now, is there Novalac HA for babies older than a year old? He does not like Nan HA?

Dear Remo
I think that you may have to be creative when you make food for your dear son's 1st birthday. You can perhaps tell him he is special and that you are going to make him special treat food such as biltong, certain sweets (marshmallows and boiled or hard sweets do not contain milk, nuts or eggs), fruit juice, fruit, and jelly. At such a young age, most children will be thrilled with the decorations like balloons, party hats, finger paint, streamers, etc and the general excitement of having guests who come specially for his birthday, and not miss having a standard birthday cake. Don't make cakes that can make him ill for the sake of other adults who may attend the party. This is his day - not theirs.
Novalac HA is specifically for babies that are allergic to cow's milk. You can either phone the Bayer Helpline listed on the formula container or phone: +27 (0) 11 921 5911 and ask to speak to an infant formula consultant. You can also ask the doctor who diagnosed your son's allergy which formula he/she would like him to graduate to after he has reached his 1st birthday.
You can contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. The Allergy Association Website lists the foods that your son will need to avoid because of his specific allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan, which contains recipes for baking too. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: . To read more about food allergies click on 'Diet and Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & intolerance'.
Wishing your son a very happy and memorable 1st birthday

Posted by: Remo | 2013-01-18

thank you very much

Reply to Remo