Question
Posted by: Thuto' s Mom | 2009/05/19

Eczema

Hi There

My baby has eczema, he got when he was 1 months. I took him to the 1st doctor who gave him Persivate cream. It help for a while then I stopped it as the rush was still coming out.

I later took him the Paediatrician who prescribed Aquabase, it didn' t help that much as my baby skin got more dry, hard and worse. I then tried the dermatologist who prescribed Elecon cream for which was dialuted in Epizone A. It realy helped me as my baby was crying a lot but after then he' s crying got a little better.

Now the problem is his eczema still breaks out, I was told not use the mixture a lot as it will thin my baby skin. I went to trying Epizone A on his skin alone as a moisturiser but still no success, I bathed him with Rooibos, Epizone E but still no relief.

I went on trying Epimax which still make my baby skin dry. I' m scared of continous use of different ointments on my baby skin, I don' t know what to use anymore. I tried cream E 45 but still no luck either thay aggreviates the eczema all the creams I have name for you.

Can you tell me what to do, is Elecon that bad for my baby or what? I went on stopping him on purities, nestums and diary products as they things i was told he might be allergic too.

Hope you can help!

Expert ImagePharmacist

TM

Hi. Eczema is often an uncomfortable and difficult to treat condition. The elocon can be used for short periods of time when the eczema is really bas, but should not be used as a chronic treatment. Milucort, another corticosteroid but milder, can also be used and is available over-the-counter.
Furthermore try adding Oilatum oil to your little ones bath and give Cetaphil cleansing lotion for babies and Nutraderm mosturiser for babies a try instead of normal soaps and creams. If no improvent is seen with anything but the elocon, you should see the dermatologist agin.

2
Posted by: Ash | 2009/06/26

Hi Doctor,
I'  m 27 and I'  ve lost about 20kgs over the past 5 years. Initially my weight fluctuated a bit which resulted in some stretch marks on my thighs, around my stomach and arms. I'  m using Palmers stretch mark cream and bio-oil to try and lighten them but over the past year or so I haven'  t seen any dramatic results.
Please let me know which creams i should be using for the best result.
I'  m even considering chemical dermabrasion. Do you think that'  s a good option.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ash

Reply to Ash
Posted by: Ash | 2009/06/26

Hi Doctor,
I' m 27 and I' ve lost about 20kgs over the past 5 years. Initially my weight fluctuated a bit which resulted in some stretch marks on my thighs, around my stomach and arms. I' m using Palmers stretch mark cream and bio-oil to try and lighten them but over the past year or so I haven' t seen any dramatic results.
I' m even considering chemical dermabrasion. Do you think that' s a good option.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ash

Reply to Ash