Posted by: Nicole | 2011-03-16

Ectopic pregnancy

I have had 2 ectopics. 1 a year ago and the 2nd a week ago.
Both my falopian tubes have been closed because they were to badly damaged to save. What are our other options for falling pregnant? What is the safest and most succesful way?
And would our medical aid help us pay for any of this? Please help.

Dear Nicole

If both your fallopian tubes have been affected with ectopic pregnancies then your only option is a procedure called in-vitro fertilization [IVF]. This would try and achieve a pregnancy by bypassing the fallopian tubes when they are damaged or blocked. It is unfortunate that most medical aids will not pay for a procedure like this which I think they should pay for. So I suggest that you see a fertility clinic that is closest to you to help you start with IVF.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo