Question
Posted by: Mia | 2009-01-19

Ectopic pregnancy

I had a little girl in Feb 2006. I left the pill to try for no 2 in April 2007. Had a miscarriage in Nov 2007.

I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy last week and I lost my right fallopian tube.

How will this influence my chances of having another baby? When is it save to start TTC'  ing again?

I'  m desperate to be pregnant again

Dear Mia

The risks of another ectopic pregnancy increase significantly and are in the region of 60%. I would suggest of a waiting period of at least 3 months before attempting another conception. It is also important to note that your overall chances of fertility has significantly reduced since you would only be able to conceive in cycles where you ovulate from the ovary on the side of the healthy tube.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim