Question
Posted by: ectiva | 2010/06/05

ectiva

Hi, I''m using Ectiva weight losing pills and I had to stop using my antidepressants while I use Ectiva. But a while back I had to get an abortion, which hit me quite bad, it was my first pregnancy try, so my emotions and hormones are quite screwed at the moment and I''m extremely depressed. I really want to lose weight, so I''m not keen on leaving the pills. Would it affect me badly or at all if I start using my antidepressants again together with the Ectiva?

Dear Ectiva
I am so sorry to hear that you had to have an abortion. It is quite understandable that such an even can make one feel very depressed. I am not sure which country you live in? But in South Africa, patients can only obtain slimming medications that contain sibutramine through a medical doctor because they are classified as schedule 5 drugs. Because I am not sure if you started using the Ectiva under the supervision of a medical dr and if he/she advised you to stop using your antidepressants (you also don't mention which antidepressants you were using so I can't check if the antidepressants would interact with sibutramine or not). I would urge your to consult a medical dr about starting to use whatever antidepressant you were using together with your Ectiva. Rather safe than sorry in case the 2 medications cause interactions. At this stage your probably need your antidepressants more urgently than the Ectiva to help you over the trauma of the abortion. Also discuss seeing a clinical psychologist with the dr, so that you can recover from the abortion with some expert assistance.
Holding thumbs for you

1

Dear Ectiva
Holding thumbs for you