Posted by: Angela | 2009-08-24

I am concerned about my heart' s health. I am 28 years old. My family have heart problems. My uncle passed away from a heart attack, after many years of problems. My mother has had a triple by-pass, and my other uncle has recently passed away from a very sudden heart attack.
I have been obese for many years (I have however lost 30kg' s in the last 16 months), so I have been over weight for many years.

I am concerned about my heart' s condition. At my age, do you think it is neccessary for me to have an ECG? Or am I being overly paranoid.
I am also concerned about costs.... how much can I expect to pay for an ECG?

Thanking you in Advance for your reply

Dear Angela
No you are not being paranoid. It is never too early to take precautions and losing 30 kg is an excellent start - congratulations! You can ask your doctor to check your sugar levels, cholesterol levels and an ECG. Phone your GP and ask the receptionist what their fees would be.