Posted by: sweetie | 2009-09-12

eating too much sweets?

i want to know if eating too much sweets will do any long term damage. to my health. i am 30 years, and 1.72 tall, i weigh 57 kilo' s so i think i am probably underweight, if anything. i eat well, i get my 5 fruit and veg in every day and drink lots of water, but my weakness is sweets and chocolates! i have to have a whole packet of sweets or sometimes a packet of sweets and a slab of chocolate every single day. i absolutely crave it!! i' m worried that having so much sugar in my diet is bad for me. i am breastfeeeding my toddler so i know that does have an effect on your appetite, but geez i am maybe going overboard?!? Please tell me what your opinion is on my diet. thanks

Dear Sweetie
Eating large quantities of sweets and chocolates can have a number of negative effects on health: 1) It promotes tooth decay, 2) It "dilutes" the diet and lowers the quantities of protective nutrients (vitamins and minerals) that you ingest on a daily diet, 3) It can lead to exhaustion of the pancreas which may in turn lead to insulin resistance and/or diabetes 4) It may increase your triglyceride levels in the blood which like cholesterol can cause heart disease. So please reduce your sweet and chocolate intake to one moderate serving a day (2 to 3 sweets, or 3 blocks of chocolate). For your own health and that of your toddler who is being breastfed your must ensure that you are eating a balanced diet, i.e. plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5 portions a day), meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 4 cups of full-cream milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day). Make sure that you are eating a low-glycaemic index (GI) carbohydrate at every meal: Breakfast: high-fibre cereal or high-fibre Pronutro and 2 slices of rye bread, Lunch: Durum pasta or potato salad, or rye bread, Supper: cooked brown rice or sweet potato or Durum pasta. These low-GI carbs should lower your cravings for sugar. Also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles.