Posted by: PT | 2009-04-20

Eating too much

I usually don' t eat much. But if I do eat enough to get full, I feel it' s already too much. It' s as much as a 7-year-old would normally eat but I feel it' s too much for me because after lunch or dinner, I usually get very tired and I get nausea and difficulty concentrating. It' s like I' m sleepy or drunk, I don' t know how to describe it. But on the weekends I usually eat a piece of bread or an apple in the whole day and I feel full of energy, in a good mood and totally able to concentrate. Why is that? I weigh 50kg and don' t have any appetite problems or food allergies (as far as I know). Only eating enough always gives me this funny feeling. Except if I eat only fruit and salad or a sandwich. Then I am always ok. But if it' s warm food (and I try to cook healthy food), I don' t feel well.

Dear PT
You may have a slow metabolism that can get away with less food, but the tiredness and nausea after a meal could be due to abnormal insulin production. Just have your blood sugar and fasting insulin levels tested to ensure that there are no problems. If your BMI is within normal limits for your height, and you are not tired or sickly, smaller meals may be sufficient for your body.