Posted by: Strange | 2009-08-13

Eating sounds are annoying

This is going to sound weird...but for some reason, I get deeply annoyed (to the point where it feels like by insides cringe) when I listen to people eating - the sounds that they make.

It is so annoying, that sometimes I just want to scream at them to eat with their mouths closed! Happens with my husband as well. If he' s making loud noises while eating, I will go to another room, because I simply can' t handle those sounds.

Please explain....if you can :-/

How you react to such potential annoynaces is far more a matter of choice than you may think. There are many noises and sounds in this world which we choose to ignore, or at least not to allow them to bother us. The more you tell yourself such sounds are unbearable and that you "can\t handle" them, the more such predictions will come true ; but they needn't. Rather choose a different reaction. Not one of "anything goes:, but one that says quietly to yourself : Tsk tsk ! How vulgar --- but at least I eat politely and quietly, and I will choose to ignore the noises they make, and concentrate on my own food. I bet if you asked them gently, most of those other people whose eating sounds annoy you so much, would be able to name one or two of your own habits that annoy them.
So live and let live., chew and let chew

Posted by: Lauren | 2009-08-15

Gosh sometimes I can' t even stand the sounds when I eat!

Reply to Lauren
Posted by: Amanda | 2009-08-15

I have adhd and find such sounds can seem like total overload to my brain! What might be virtually indectable to others can seem soooo loud to me yet I have reduced hearing in one ear!!! Not suggesting that you have adhd just wanted to let you know that others find the sound of people eating just as disgusting as you do yet others can totally ignore it!!!!

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: B | 2009-08-14

There are others out there too. I have to physically remove myself from the room to avoid being rude or upsetting someone. I CANNOT BEAR IT EITHER!!

Reply to B
Posted by: Strange | 2009-08-14

Oh thank goodness. I thought I was the only one. So you understand what I mean. It' s like you can almost picture their food being shoved around in their mouth - and I get all these gross images in my head!

Like I said, it' s not their fault at all. Like yesterday, my colleague was eating, and she eats very decently - mouth closed and everything. But there' s a certain sound she makes that just makes my body cringe! I was actually blocking my ears while she was eating. Don' t know what' s wrong with me!

Reply to Strange
Posted by: Simon | 2009-08-14

I suffer from the same problem as you, I dread family dinners! my couson makes other noises too as he has damaged cartlage in his jaw and it sounds like he is grinding something.

I just try to avoid these situations where I' m exposed to these sounds - especially when it is with someone who has poor manners. Ignoring the sounds doesn' t work for me - that' s like pretending it doesn' t hurt when you get cut.

Reply to Simon
Posted by: Lauren | 2009-08-13

I know what you mean! I can' t stand it when someone eats and I can hear them!

Reply to Lauren
Posted by: Strange | 2009-08-13

Okay, maybe I came across incorrectly. I understand completely that it is not any fault of the other person for the sounds they make when eating. It' s all natural occurring sounds, which I myself probably make as well. Which is why I would never tell the person anything, because I know it is not their fault.

But I still don' t understand why those sounds bug me so much. I' m simply trying to understand what is wrong with " me" .

Thanks for your advice though.

Reply to Strange