Question
Posted by: Fed up | 2008/11/03

Eating problems

My baby is 15 months old. I struggle a lot to get him to eat, he was at the pediatrician &  dietician before because he was underweight because he was ill alot. He is on a eating plan and it went well at the beginning but now i struggle to get him to eat. He also tested positive for iron shortage and is on ferrimed. I went into babysense webpage &  picked up a tip to give then protifar supplement to get them to pick up weight. He is weighing 9.3kg &  is 75cm tall. Is it safe to use protifar?

Dear Fed Up
I can understand that you are fed up because it is such a struggle to get your son to eat. However, if he is iron deficient then this can account for his poor appetite. You don't mention what illnesses he has had and what type of eating plan the dietitian put him on, so I would be hesitant to say you can use Protifar without re-consulting your dietitian. Please contact your dietitian and fill her in on what has happened to your child (the iron deficiency and the fact that he is not gaining weight and has no appetite). Ask her if she would include Protifar with the eating plan she has provided. You can also phone the company that sells Protifar in South Africa, namely Pharmaplan at: (011) 652-0950 and ask to speak to Lynette Botes, the Product Manager for Protifar. She will be able to advise if this is the best product to use for your child at this stage and in view of his various problems, or if she would rather recommend another product. I shall also contact them and obtain this information and post an additional message for you tomorrow. So check your messages.

2
Posted by: Diet Expert | 2008/11/04

Dear Fed Up
As promised, I contacted Pharmaplan, the company that sells Protifar and spoke to Lynette Botes the Product Manager for this product. She advised that a product called INFATRINI is more suitable for young children suffering from growth faltering. You can order INFATRINI from MS Patient Care at: (011) 652-0982.
I do hope your lad will get over his teething and start eating more normally.

Reply to Diet Expert
Posted by: fed up | 2008/11/04

He had tonsilitis twice &  normal colds &  flu, he is also teething at the moment, i got him pedisure last night at the pharmacy &  gave it to him as a nightfeed before bed time, i will just monitor to see if works for now, otherwise i will go back to the dietician. The dietician is also aware of the iron deficiency &  he is using ferrimed at this stage as well.

Reply to fed up