Question
Posted by: Mary Ann | 2008/08/26

eating plan - not alot of energy

I am trying to eat healhty and lose 4 kg' s. This is what I' m eating but I dont have alot of energy.

Breakfast - bowl of special k with low fat milk
snack - apple
lunch - boiled chicken with veggies or tuna with veggies and low fat mayo (1 spoon only)
snack - plum
snack - naartjie
snack- low GI bar
gym
protein shake
dinner -fruit salad with yogort

Will I lose some weight and build lean muscle?

Dear Mary Ann
You will probably lose weight on this minimalistic and rather unbalanced diet, but you won't easily build lean muscle because your diet does not contain sufficient energy or carbohydrates to sustain an exercise programme (this is why you feel so tired). You actually need to add more carbs so that you can do exercise that builds muscles. Keep in mind that all the top athletes obtain up to 70% of their daily energy from carbs. In addition, carbs are what is called "protein sparing" so they promote lean muscle development. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women", esp the ones on carbohydrates, on protein and on carbo-loading.

3
Posted by: Lumpy | 2008/08/27

Sorry forgot to mention your dinner, you cant possibly think yoghurt and frutsalad will give you energy. Rather have a protein with vegetables, much better then yoghurt and fruit! You already having too much fruit, you need to incorporate more vegetables. Too much fruit can give you too much sugar, you want fuel such as carbs (low GI) and Veges to give you fuel.

Reply to Lumpy
Posted by: Lumpy | 2008/08/27

Hi there,
I am on a low GI diet and was told Special K is High GI so rather eat All Bran or Oats or any other Low GI Cereal. I was also shocked to hear about Special K. You should a little more energy just by changing your cereal.

Reply to Lumpy
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/08/26

It sounds healthy to me you ought to loose weight and because you are gymming you ought to build lean muscle. I' m nearly having the same you ought to loose approx.200-1kg depending on how long you gym, BMI, ect.

Reply to Zexeon