Question
Posted by: Ann Greyling | 2012-03-14

Eating plan for Diverticulosis sufferer

Please suggest diet for Diverticulosis sufferer with recent diverticulitis haemorrhaging.

Dear Ann
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from diverticulosis which is a very tricky condition to manage. If you are haemorrhaging you should be under the care of a physician and a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The physician will have to treat you with medications to stop the inflammation and the bleeding. The dietitian will have to monitor what you are eating at present that is causing the irritation (roughage, fruits with pips, wholegrain cereals - any small food particle that can get stuck in the folds of your bowel) and introduce you to a low-fiber diet that is well balanced. I would also recommend the use of probiotics ("beneficial microorganisms") such as Bifidobacteria or Intestiflora which you can buy at health shops. But please for your own sake do consult a dietitian ASAP.
Holding thumbs

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-03-15

Dear Ann
Holding thumbs