Question
Posted by: Kay | 2010/01/14

eating plan for 21 month old

Hi doc
Please can you give me some advice on my child’ s diet?
I have a 21 month old toddler. Below is this eating schedule:

(nasonex and seritide)
6am 180ml Isomil formulae (vidaylin with iron)
8am Porridge
10am Snack of fruit
12pm Lunch (mixture of protein, carbs, veggies)
3pm Bottle
5pm Sometimes eats supper or fruit or biscuit
(scotts emulsion and deselex)
(nasonex and seritide)
7pm bottle

My son is vegetarian (no eggs). He is also asthmatic and on meds for that.
Do you think that the above eating plan is sufficient baring in mind that my son does not always eat supper.

The crè che that he goes to wants to remove the 3pm both and also suggested to myself that I should remove the 7pm bottle (makes it easier for potty training)
What is your opinion on this? Do you think that he might be missing any vitamins
He is a notoriously sick (every two months) and weighs about 10 kgs now
Thank you for your advice in advance

Dear Kay
I am sorry to hear that you little lad suffers from asthma, which can affect his general health and food intake. Because of his allergies and the fact that he has to use all these medications I would like to recommend that you have him and his diet assessed by a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). At the age of 21 months, children should no longer be drinking milk from a bottle, but from a cup. If he is allergic to cow's milk (I presume this is the case because you are giving him Isomil), then he could be drinking soy milk which is commercially available in most supermarkets. This is another reason why I would recommend that a dietitian should examine him to see if he is allergic or if he can use dairy products like yoghurt for example which would reduce his fluid intake and help with the potty training. Otherwise his diet seems reasonable, esp as you give him Vidaylin with iron and Scotts emulsion (be careful not to overdose him with vitamin A as this can also have a negative effect).

1

Dear Kay