Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2012/02/23

Eating Plan

Hi Doc,
Please rate my eating plan and if there are any concerns or something I could do better to lose weight. I''m 39 years old male, weigh 98 (have lost 10kgs already!) and am 1.73m tall.
Breakfast: two blocks weetbix, 2% low fat milk, NO sugar.
Snack: 2 nectarines, 100g smooth low fat yoghurt (3 hours after breakfast)
Lunch: 1 grated carrot, half a cucumber, handful of small Italian tomatoes (3 hrs after snack)
Snack: 4 Provita''s, 1 medium starking apple, 100g smooth low fat yoghurt (3 hrs after lunch)
Dinner: Protein (fish, meat, chicken) some veggies. (3hrs after snack)
I have one cup of coffee a day (no sugar) and drink about 7 500ml bottles of water a day. I also run on a treadmill, alternating incline for 33 minutes after dinner. Am I on the right track here? I still want to lose about 18kgs and weigh around 80kgs. I started in October 2011. Your thoughts?

Dear Wayne
Congratulations for already losing those 10 kg - well done! This loss indicates that you are on the right track. The diet you describe is relatively well balanced and I am pleased to see that you do include 3 servings of milk/yoghurt per day because adult men also require a relatively high calcium intake to prevent brittle bones. One thing that does make me a bit worried is your liquid intake. The recommended daily intake of liquid (coffee, tea, milk, fruit juice, water, cold drinks, etc) for adults is 2,5 litres. Are you having 3,5 litres plus 250 ml (the cup of coffee) a day? This equals 3,75 litres which is too much as it can lead to electrolyte (potassium, sodium, magnesium) losses which have detrimental effects. Try to reduce your intake of liquid down to 2,5 litres per day. Your objective to lose another 18 kg, would ensure that your BMI = 26,8 which would be excellent.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.

1

Dear Wayne