Question
Posted by: Sam | 2012/05/02

Eating Pap

My son who is 4 loves to eat pap, so much so that he eats it at least 4 to 5 times a week with meat, chicken and vegetables. Is it o.k that he eats it so often, as I''m not too sure of the nutritional value compared to rice or bread.

Dear Sam
I presume that your 4-year-old son eats 'pap' made with white, sifted and refined maize meal? If this is the case, then this staple food basically supplies energy to the body, plus the 6 vitamins and 2 minerals that are added to maize meal by government decree. If he was eating unsifted maize meal ('growwe pap'), then this starchy food would also have a higher dietary fibre content. If your son is not overweight then he can eat maize meal porridge as one of his starchy foods. Rice and low-GI breads have a lower GI than maize meal, unless you cook the maize meal, let it cool down and then eat it. The latter treatment lowers the GI of the maize meal, but most people won't easily eat cold maize meal.
The most important factor in childhood nutrition is for children to eat a balanced diet which means that they should eat a variety of foods.

1

Dear Sam