Question
Posted by: Felicity | 2012/04/25

Eating out of control

My eating is way out of control. I have gained 40kg in the past 5 years. I gained it mostly at work as I started eating non-healthy snacks inbetween my healthy snacks. I know for a fact that I am stress eater. I work all day and I cannot afford to go to a priviate psychologist or sit in a queue at a hospital trying to get an appointment due to my work. I have home stresses too (financial). That is part of the problem, this month I ate R300 worth of chocolates. It makes me sick but I can''t seem to stop. My cholesterol and sugar blood tests were over normal. The more I try the more I fail. My GP won''t give me any appetite supressants because they are dangerous. I really need help I just do not know how to get it. I phoned Overeaters Anon and the person who answered was hedgey and unhelpful. I asked the Eating Disorders forum and never got a reply. I look very well groomed but am overweight (used to be very skinny). My circumstances are better than they used to be (emotionally) but this awful habit remains. I feel depressed and out of control. I dread summer and showing off any part of my body.

Do others have this problem?

Mary's sugestions are indeed useful. At work you can only eat snacks, healthy or unhealthy, if you buy them and bring them in and stash them in your desk. Give no storage space to snacks, don't bring any in - and you'd find it much harder to nibble. One of my points is that the unhealthy and excessive snacking isn't purely a spur of the moment thing, because you prepare for it well in advance, and take care to have the supplies ready and at hand.
The cost of seeing a psychologist for CBT is of cours esignificant - but have you totted up the full cost of all of the snacks you consume each week ? And consider the costs of the eventual health impacts of this bad diet ?
Appetite suppressants aren't the solution, anyway.
I wonder why the Overeaters Anonymous person sounded so odd - maybe you accidentally caught her in mid-snack ? Persevere, there, there could be something useful for you in that area.
In addition to being strict on limiting supplies at hand when you feel like a nibble, where stress is the trigger, learn better ways of handling stress ; and where obredom is another trigger, keep occupied. Getting up to walk around, plunging into different work rather than sitting reaching for snacks when you get stuck on the project at hand, all help.

2

Posted by: Mary | 2012/04/26

Hi Felicity,
I can totally associate with you as eating too much and unhealthy is also a problem for me.
Eating too much is usually a something we do to fill some sort of emptiness in us. I know when I am bored, I cant seem to stop eating. Others eat when they are emotionally hurt etc. Do some self inspection why you eat when you are not hungry.

Becasue I eat when I am bored, I try to fill the boredom with something productive. Get up from your desk and have a brisk walk around the building, or basically anything to get your thoughts off food.

Mary

Reply to Mary