Posted by: Lee | 2009-01-20

Eating out of control

Hi Doc,

I desparately need help. I am breastfeeding and gaining weight so fast because i am eating so much. I' ve never eaten so much in my life until now. It all started after the delivery of my baby 5months ago. I am always hungry and nothing fills me up. I have tried drinking water and eating a fruit before a meal, i' ve tried eating a well balanced diet,snacking on healthy well balanced snacks, i' ve tried the portions diet plan, the list is endless. No matter what i try, im always hungry. I don' t eat junk, i' ve cut all that out completly. I have a huge appitite that doesn' t go away. I make sure that i find time to do some intense exercising every morning for 30min and some days i go for a walk for an hour or more.Drink 2 or more litres of water a day. No matter what i do i just cant loose weight because i am eating so much!Every hour i' m hungry, i try not to go on for more than 3hours without eating something because then my hunger will be worse. Am i doing something wrong? Are there any appetite supressants that i can take which are safe for breastfeeding?

Dear Lee
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. Breastfeeding can increase your appetite, but it should not cause you to be hungry all the time. You don't mention your present weight in kg or height in metres so I cannot work out if you are actually overweight or not. You may be hungry all the time because you are not eating sufficient food to meet your increased needs (breastfeeding and doing a lot of strenuous exercise). On the other hand, the pregnancy may have affected your insulin production. It may be a good idea to consult the dr or gynae who oversaw your pregnancy to see if there is an underlying physical (such as diabetes) or psychological problem (post-partum depression). Under no circumstances should you take ANY appetite suppressants while breastfeeding because all these drugs pass through the milk into baby and can cause very serious side-effects in the child including addiction.
Have that checkup ASAP

Posted by: Lee | 2009-01-20

Thanks for all the advise, much appreciated!!!
Im now 88kg &  my height is 1.6. I know i am definately owverweight. I do eat a lot of food, the food that i dish up for myself 2 or 3 people can share then afterwards i still want seconds. I just think its abnormal and get disgusted with myself. I will make time to see my doctor.

Thanks once again!

Reply to Lee
Posted by: eggs | 2009-01-20

I have 2 boiled eggs in the morning. Helps for me!

Reply to eggs
Posted by: Almond | 2009-01-20

Please do not place to much emphasis on my response as I am no nutritional expert at all. One tip that worked for me when my eating was out of control like that was eating raw almonds. I started eating a whole packet of 100g quickly in one go. The more almonds I ate, the less my cravings became, and the less food I needed to satisfy my cravings. Now I eat only a few almonds from the packet without the urge to wolf down the whole packet, and not very often. I have lost 5kg since starting this last year.

Reply to Almond