Question
Posted by: Berni | 2010/11/23

Eating of Fruit

Dear Doc, I have recently received an e-mail where a Dr Stephen Mak sets out the do''s and donts of eating fruit eg fruit should only be eaten on an empty stomach, fruit eaten after food will cause the food to rot in one''s stomach, eating fruit will combat cancer etc. I always understood that if one ate about 2 or 3 portions of fruit a day, it should be ok. Please advise. Thank you vey much.

Dear Berni
Surprisingly I have not yet seen the e-mail by this Dr Stephen Mak about the do's and dont's of eating fruit because most of these hoax e-mails eventually reach me via concerned friends! There is no reason why one should only eat fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit eaten after other foods will certainly NOT rot in the stomach. If you consider that the stomach per se contains a very powerful acid (hydrochloric acid) at a pH well below 4, that is able to digest most foods rapidly and efficiently, then any fruit eaten after other foods, will be digested just as thoroughly as all the other foods. Fruits are indeed very healthy foods and research has shown that eating fruit and vegetables can protect us against the so-called “diseases of lifestyle”, like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, gout, etc., so I do agree with Dr Mak that eating fruit may protect against diseases like cancer. However, your approach of eating 2 fruits a day plus 3 vegetables to make up the desirable 5-a-day is perfectly sensible and adequate.
It is usually a good idea to disregard these 'horror' e-mails because so many of the facts in them are not based on scientific evidence.

4
Posted by: Behzad A. | 2016/04/12

Dear Sir or Madam, Appreciating Dr. Stephan Mak`s valuable comment about eating of fruits by an empty stomach, I would kindly be pleased if you would possibly cast light on my way and guide me. I have got some stomach reflux for couple of years as I have unhappy feeling in my swallow right after having meal. Fortunately, I found out a way to prevent this problem by having an apple few minutes after my meal. As Dr. Mak says that it is not a healthy habit having fruits after meal, I would be appreciate if you clarify this issue for me whether or not this habit could result any ill effect for me. Faithfully Yours, Behzad A.

Reply to Behzad A.
Posted by: Jim K | 2014/11/28

I have a NutribulletRX. If I grind the fruit so that I can drink it rather than eat it, will it have the same effect?

Reply to Jim K

Dear Berni

Reply to DietDoc | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jim K | 2014/11/29

The answer you gave to my question was the same as the previous question. Is there only one answer?