Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2010/06/02

Eating more, weighing less

Hi Doc, I''ve decided to incorporate more fruits into my diet and for the last two weeks my daily eating goes like this- 2 pieces of toast for breakfast with peanut butter or something on and a cup of coffee. When I get to work I drink 500mls of water, then at about 10:00 I eat a banana and a naartjie. I have another 500mls of water sometime after the mid-morning snack and before lunch at 13:00 (which is usually left overs or a sandwitch). Then I drink 500mls water again and have a banana at around 15:00. I drink another 500mls of water before going home, then I have supper (and more often than not, a treat). Now although I am eating more (I never used to have the afternoon snack and my mid morning snack used to be about 3 Provitas or some granola) I have lost 1kg in 2 weeks. Why is that?

Dear Kelly
Eating fruits and vegetables is always beneficial. In addition people who 'nibble on healthy foods like fruit' tend to be healthier and slimmer than people who 'gorge on 3 large meals a day'. It is quite possible that by having the fruit snacks and eating 5 times a day, has reduced the quantity of food you eat at your main meal thus reducing your total energy intake per day which would cause moderate weightloss. You are also drinking a lot of water (2 litres/day) which may fill your stomach and reduce your appetite. Adults only require about 2,5 litres of liquid a day which includes all beverages and drinks, so if you are still having additional liquids, please don't overdo your water intake and stick to having 2,5 litres of LIQUID in total per day. Otherwise you may develop electrolyte imbalances because excessive liquid/water intake can wash important mineral like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium out of the body. Everything in moderation!

1

Dear Kelly