Question
Posted by: Worried... | 2009-07-28

Eating little, feeling full

Hi there.

My wife since Iv' e known her has been eating quite a lot. However she has been losing weight. We think it was because of stress as it was before the wedding etc. Now, lately (the past 3 days) she says that she doesnt even eat a whole sandwich and drink a can of colddrink and already feel full. Like I said, she always ate and then still felt hungry afterwards.

What can the reason be for this?

Dear Worried
Unexplained weightloss (i.e. when someone is not on an active diet and/or exercise regimen) and loss of appetite are always causes for concern. Please take your wife for a full medical checkup so that the dr can determine why she is losing weight and does not want to eat. There are many conditions that could be causing this: for example, excess thyroid hormone production, infections, ulcers, and other physical factors, and psychological problems such as depression and/or anxiety. Once we have a diagnosis we can see how she can adapt her diet so that she can get back to eating normally.