Question
Posted by: Lena-Marie | 2012-02-23

Eating Healthy

Hi. I was underweigt for 10 years. I''ve started to eat healthier and start menstruating for first time in years I also started to retain water and weigt about 8 kg in 4 months. What can I do ?

Dear Lena-Marie
If you find that you are retaining water (puffy hands and feet, swollen ankles, etc) then it is always a good idea to have a medical checkup just to make sure that you do not have an underlying medical condition that is responsible for this oedema. The doctor will prescribe a mild diuretic is you are otherwise healthy. You don't mention your present weight in kg and height in metres so I can't calculate your BMI to estimate if this 8 kg gain over 4 months has shifted you into an overweight category or not (somehow I doubt this).
Please have a checkup to eliminate problems such as kidney and bladder malfunction, or electrolyte imbalances and/or deficiencies that may still be a result of your underweight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-02-24

Dear Lena-Marie