Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2011/09/20

Eating healthy

Hi Doc, I''ve always been very weight conscious, but since we started cycling (four times a week - approximately 200km a week and then we walk twice a week about 5km which they say helps for cycling) started slacking and am battling to getting back to eating healthy and I can see my weight is slowly but surely going up. I am 1.64 and weigh about 60kg now. I think I don''t know how to eat healthy, and what to eat to keep my energy levels up for the cycling but not gain weight. I love bread, and that is my downfall. Sometimes I can eat and eat and eat, but never feel satisfied. I read the other day that you can exercise until you fall over, but if you do not eat right, it is useless, and I'' starting to believe that. Please help me with some guidelines about what I should eat to keep up the energy levels, but get rid of a bit of this weight.

Dear Nadine
Seeing that you BMI = 22,3 which is ideal for an adult women of your height, I don't think you have a weight problem. The slight gain in weight you may have experienced could be due to the development of additional muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue. If you are doing such a large amount of strenuous exercise and cycling 200 km per week, you are going to need energy to fuel your physical activity. Bread and carbohydrates are our best source of fuel, so it is natural that your body craves carbs to sustain your performance. To ensure that you don't gain weight, be careful what you eat WITH the carbs. Don't smother the bread in margarine, butter, or other fatty spread and don't have fatty dressings and sauces with other carbs such as pasta, brown rice and sweet potatoes for example. If you are not planning to become an elite athlete, I would recommend that you eat a balanced, low-fat, high-carb diet. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read the articles on diets for sportsmen and women. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.
Enjoy your walking and your cycling

1

Dear Nadine
Enjoy your walking and your cycling