Posted by: Overeating | 2009-04-14

Eating habits have increased dramaticall

Hi, for the past couple of months I have been struggling with extreme tiredness even struggling to stay awake at my desk while working. Now for the past two months I have started eating massive amounts. 5 slices of bread before my husband and kids get home from school/work at 17h00 and then with Dinner at 18h30 it is another couple of slices of bread and what ever is for dinner. I also wake up in the night struggling to keep out of the cupboard where I will eat a complete pack of wavers or anything that is in the cupboard if I do not some way or another try to ignore the hunger. The doctor has prescribed diet tablets but even though they have helped with the tiredness it still did not help the hunger pangs. What might couse this.

Dear Overeating
You may have diabetes or insulin resistance - did your doctor recently check your blood sugar and insulin levels? You also need to check for anemia, iron deficiency and underactive thyroid. Please go for a medical check up.

Posted by: Siranne | 2009-04-14

There is a site called the GI diet guide. have a look. hopefully it will help.

Reply to Siranne
Posted by: Siranne | 2009-04-14

Protein prevents cravings, so if you must eat, then choose something high in protein like most kids of nuts or baked beans. Foods with low GI will also help to keep you fuller for longer, like whole grain bread, sweet potato, most nuts (macademia is good) and Soya and Linseed bread, Wholegrain Pumpernickel bread, Heavy Mixed Grain bread, Whole Wheat bread, Sourdough Rye bread, Sourdough Wheat bread, natural muesli, cauliflower, broccoli, and raw carrots also do the trick.
I know it' s not easy, but really try. Also try joining a weighless group in your area...they really help you with good food choices.

Reply to Siranne
Posted by: Anne | 2009-04-14

I am no doctor, but also have a husband and kids and suffered from " extreme hunger"  pangs.
My experience is that it has more to do with being depressed than with anything physical. The irony is that the more you eat, the worse you feel,, the more you want to eat.
Try just going for a brisk walk every day and see it it helps. Good luck.

Reply to Anne