Posted by: doggy mommy | 2008-12-18

My female Italian Greyhound eats a lot of grass. Is that normal?. The grass allso dies where she urinate - Does that mean I must change her food. She is 6 months, sterlised and currently on Hills for Puppies. I have none of these problems with my male daschund. Also any remedies?

Dear Doggy Mommy

They eat grass because some like the taste.

You get 'Dog Rocks' that you put in their water bowls and that help the grass burning. Not sure how they work but worth a try.

Posted by: WR | 2008-12-18

Sorry about the following - but I' m gonna name the brands:

My dogs used to be on Vet' s Choice, and then the melanine scare came around - so I put them on Ultra Dog - after two weeks on Ultra Dog they were eating gras at a rate that would make a cow proud!
Back they went on the Vet' s Choice - and within 2 days the grass eating stopped.
Now on Eukanuba - grass eating is rare.
I agree that some grass-eating is quite ok - but a continuos pattern of eating grass is NOT normal.
I thought that " they just like it"  etc etc - until I saw the results when I changed the food.

Use it, don' t use it.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008-12-18

Sometimes they eat grass to make themselves sick, ie when their digestion is upset - but many, many dogs eat grass just because they like it. As long as the pup is otherwise ok, I wouldn' t worry about it at all.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2008-12-18

I`m guessing here but I think the you should not worry too much about the grass eating. You`ll probably find she regurgitates it later. I`ve seen it with my dogs I think they do it to get their stomachs right. Maybe it works like Eno or Rennies for dogs.

Reply to Boerboel Owner