Question
Posted by: violet | 2011/11/28

eating for no reason

I have been struggling to loose weight because even when I am full I still continue eating and feel like a pig afterwards. I also dish up too much food on the plate. Is there something wrong with me? will I ever overcome this or is this how I was designed to be? Please help!!

Dear Violet
If you find that you eat non-stop even when you are full and also tend to dish up too much food for meals, then there are a variety of reasons that could be playing a role. If the diet you are trying to use to lose weight is too low in energy or does not contain any carbohydrates, your body may be counteracting this with overeating. Low serotonin levels in the brain can also cause you to overeat. On the other hand, some people eat for psychological reasons which includes using food for 'comfort' to relieve stress or because they are depressed. Bad habits learned in childhood when children are taught to 'clean their plate' no matter what could also be a factor. Try and work out which one of these factor or factors is causing overeating in your case. If you are being driven by psychological factors, please try and see a clinical psychologist who will be able to help you to learn less destructive ways of coping with stress or treat you for your depression. For the other factors, it may help to use a balanced diet that does not exclude any food groups (e.g. carbs) (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet)and to have a checkup with a medical doctor to exclude underlying physical problems such as insulin resistance.
I hope you can pinpoint what is driving you to overeat and obtain help to conquer this problem.

1

Dear Violet