Question
Posted by: Gaining weight | 2012-10-29

Eating for Anxiety

I suffer from anxiety attacks and sometimes I feel that all I do all day is eat, eat, eat. If I try ignore the hunger pangs then I feel sick and faint. I have tried eating healthier things like yoghurt or provitas but they dont satisfy me enough (I have to eat yoghurt and 8 provitas before it fills the gap for an hour or two). I feel really hungry within 1-3 hours of eating. Sometimes I wake up in the early hours of the morning needing to eat and I have had a good healthy supper.
I have had my thyroid checked and blood sugar levels checked and all came back ok. What kind of meal plan can I implement that will take care of the snacking in a healthy way? (I don''t eat nuts, olives, peanut butter or smelly cheese).
I used to weigh 47 kg about 10 years ago - now I am 59 or 59 and want to get to 50kg.
I feel so tired all the time, no sex drive, no motivation to go to the gym even though I know i REALLY NEED to..

Dear Gaining Weight
If you do not suffer from low blood sugar or insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes then this feeling of having a 'bottomless pit' in your tummy which has to be filled with food may be due to your anxiety and/or anxiety medications. If you do take medications for the anxiety then it is advisable to discuss the effects of any medications you may be taking with the prescribing doctor. Certain anxiolytics and antidepressants do stimulate the appetite. It may be possible to change to another medication which does not have this effect. If you are not being treated for your anxiety attacks then please get assistance from a clinical psychologist so that you can take control of your life and learn techniques to reduce the anxiety and the eating. If you are not taking any medications that may be stimulating your appetite then I would also recommend that consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you that prevents your hunger pangs without causing additional weight gain.
I do hope you will be able to control this eating for anxiety

2
Posted by: Gaining Weight | 2012-10-30

My psychologist recommended I try the Herbex drops - I wasnt sure which to try so I got the Booster Eatless drops (supposed to reduce hunger pangs and cravings) and I got the appetite control tabs to improve metabolism, reduce hunger cravings and appetite control.
I took the drops last night about an hour before dinner but by dinner time I was positively STARVING and this morning I tried the tablest 30 min before breakfast and was still really hungry and then after breakfast I didnt feel satisfied and had to snack when I got to work again. Then I took the drops and I am still so hungry this morning. I want to know which one is better to use and if its common to still feel really hungry at the start of the treatment?

Reply to Gaining Weight
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-10-29

Dear Gaining Weight