Posted by: Maddie | 2009-02-13

Eating enough calories a day?

Im 27, 1.65m tall. Weigh 63kg now, want to weigh 57kg. I eat between 4700kj and 5100kj a day to loose weight. Is that to little? According to a website on the internet I need to eat about 6000kj a day (that' s without exercise) to loose 0.5kg a week. And can eating to less kj make me not loose weight?

Dear Maddie
Your BMI = 23,2 which is already excellent. If you reduce to 57 kg your BMI will be 21 which is below the ideal. Your body will resist you forcing it to lose weight so it may switch off its weightloss mechanisms. Eating a very-low-energy diet instead of a moderately reduced energy diet of about 6300 kJ/day will depress your metabolism even further. It is necessary to ingest sufficient energy so that you body does not get the message "starvation". It is also difficult to obtain all the nutrients you require for good health like vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre if you reduce your energy intake too drastically.