Question
Posted by: Lilly | 2010/04/30

Eating disorder - obsessive eating habits

Dear Doc, I suffered from Bulimia for approx 6 yrs but have managed to break the bad habit about 5 yrs ago and through this time have gained and lost a lot of weight drastically (up and down varying from 10 - 12kgs). In this time losing a lot of weight, it was due to using pills like simply slim and then gaining all the weight again after stopping them. Now I have a lot of trouble trying to loose weight overall because I just cannot control my eating habits - AT ALL! I am currently 10kgs overweigth, which I guess is not that much, but still gaining as I have absolutely no control over my eating habits, I love eating, wondering if I''m not obsessed with eating. Please advice whether this can be because of the usage of pills?

Dear Lilly
The use of slimming pills can disrupt your metabolism, but in many cases both bulimia, obsessive eating and reliance on food are actually due to psychological problems. If you were assisted by a psychologist and/or dietitian to get over the bulimia, then you should consult them again. If not, please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again and to lose those 10 kg in a healthy way. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help ASAP.

1

Dear Lilly
Go for expert help ASAP.