Posted by: Jacob Bafana Mathebula | 2012-09-26

Eating disorder

My child does not want to eat in most cases.She relies mostly on juices. As a result she loses weight and I am very concerned about this condition.I have tried multivitamins to ease the problem but there is no solution.Please help.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Jacob,
You haven't really provided me with too much information to make a comprehensive spines, but you should consider taking your child to a dietician for a thorough assessment. She might respond to some dietary advice.

Posted by: ME | 2012-10-31

What about meal replacement shakes in chocolate, vanilla or strawberry? What about soups (like the woolies ones not the cup-a-soups as those are so watery and processed). Or try smoothies?
How old is she? Is it perhaps teen pressures that she feels that she shouldn''t be eating in case she puts on weight and will get picked on? Maybe there is a deeper root to this problem? Try the liquid alternatives of food that are tasty (ensure is quite good) but are packed with nutritives.

Reply to ME
Posted by: Leila | 2012-09-27

Try cutting down on the juices and see if that works. Maybe you shouldnt make eating an issue and this problem will right itself. Dont worry - my kid was very thin when small but now he''s gone so big and fat that it makes me think that it wasnt worth worrying about his eating habits when he was small!

Reply to Leila