Posted by: anon | 2011-10-28

eating disorder

i am 30 years of age, weighting 45kg. i feel fat and have been on a mission to lose weight, at least 5kg, by not eating a lot and avoiding evening meals. could i be having an eating disorder?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Anon,
It's difficult to determine your appropriate weight without knowing your height, but you would have to be very short to justify either losing weight or even retaining your current weight. I suggest that you consult with a dietician to have it determined whether you are eating well and what you should or shouldn't do moving forward. It's also concerning that you "feel fat", as it is very unlikely the case that you are fat at your current weight. If you give me more information, I should be able to advise you further.

Posted by: jes | 2011-10-30

Hi. it also depends on your BMI. I know a 32 yr old who weighs 43 kilos but is very small and has BMI of 20, which is normal. she does,however,eat very well. i do agree that your eating seems disordered at present,but what is your BMI? if it is under 18,5, you are underweight and should not lose any more. maybe go and see your Dr about your food problems and see if maybe you need to see a dietician or referral to appropriate specialist so that your obsession with food and weight can be addressed before it becomes a bigger problem.

Reply to jes
Posted by: Leila | 2011-10-29

Yes it does definitely seem like an eating disorder. At 45kg you are way too light. Please dont make eating an issue. Rather enjoy your meals, take it easy, eat whenever you are hungry and stop whenever you are full. And please dont lose another 5kg now! That would add to your problem. Evening meals should not be missed out. Rather have lighter meals in the evening, most of all, enjoy food - you dont have to be too thin or too fat to enjoy scrumptious food! Wishing you good luck.

Reply to Leila