Question
Posted by: Debra | 2010/11/02

?EATING DISORDER

I have never been diagnosed with an eating disorder but I am VERY OVERWEIGHT (99.5kg-height162) and I do binge eat at times. I am also an emotional eater. At the moment I cannot seem to control my eating. I have NEVER weighed so much in my life although I have been over weight for many years now(especially after my 2 children were born). I have been on Weigh-less numerous times and have lost a bit of weight but given up because I cannot get past Zone 1 and get VERY bored with eating the same things over and over again. I am on medication for high blood pressure, high cholestrol, depression &  gastric reflux. I started going to Curves 5 x a week since July but have picked up weight instead of loosing. I have now started going 3 x a week and walking 2 x week (2.7km) but am suffering TERRIBLY from cramps in my legs &  a painful hip on the right side (it feels as if I have displaced the hip or something). My knees &  feet (heels)are continually sore (I struggle like mad to get up &  down from my chair at work) &  I am thinking seriously of giving up Curves because of the pain. Even this morning I was in agony while walking &  am thinking of taking a break from that too. Could it be my medication or because I am so overweight. My meds are as follows: Lokit 20mg at night, perindopril 4mg at night,simvastatin 10mg at night, trepiline 25mg at night.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Debra,
Your question seems to be not so much focussed around your eating behaviour, but around the frustration with seeing little progress towards weight loss with the dietary programme and enormous efforts you have made towards exercising. I am not a physiologist or sports scientist, but I would suggest that you consult with a registered biokineticist and get to the root of your physical pain before carrying on with any more exercise. Your Body Mass Index is just under 38, which places you way within the obese weight range. Therefore, your exe3rcise programme needs to be very carefully formulated and specified to your personal needs. You might want to also consult with a sports physician. If you live in Cape Town, email me and I will give you some specific referrals, otherwise, I can always try and locate one in your area if you let me know where you live.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/11/16

Hi Debra,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert