Posted by: M* | 2009-02-18

Eating Disorder

I suffer from bulimia..been doing verY very good for the last 2 months and I' m pretty sure I' m close to being fully recovered.
I only eat salads, fruits, vegies and all healthy things- don' t eat take aways at all and no chocolates, no bread and nothing oily or fattening. Although I am weight concious, I also don' t eat as just stated because I don' t like that kind of food. I don' t enjoy that kind of food and I don' t want to start enjoying them. I have an appointment in March for Hypnosis. Could it change my mind set?
Will I ever get fat if I eat like I do now and exercise at least 3-4 times a week? I know 2months in recovery is not very convincing specially if you' ve been bulimic for 6years, but for some reason I can' t relate to other bulimic stories anymore. Is it possible for me to never purge again?

Dear M*
I am most relieved for your sake that you are coming to grips with your bulimia which is a most destructive condition. If you are on the way to recovery then why are you going for hypnosis? I think you still have the underlying mindset of a bulimic - you are scared of food, you only want to eat very-low-energy foods, you are scared of gaining weight and of relapsing - so I would recommend that you do get some professional help. If the hypnosis will be done by a clinical psychologist who will also help you to sort out your underlying psychological problems then I think it is a good idea, but don't go for hypnosis if the person is not a qualified clinical psychologist. You may also benefit from seeing a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with a balanced diet that will not cause weight gain and to learn how to eat normally again.
Wishing you all the best