Question
Posted by: Crystal | 2008/09/04

Eating before or after exersize

Hi there Diet Doc.

I am querying for myself and some friends.
Is it true:
1) Not to gym on an empty stomach
2) You burn off anything you eat within 1-2 hours of working out.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Dear Crystal
To answer your questions: 1) It is not good to exercise on an empty stomach because you need some food, esp carbohydrates, to fuel your exercise session. If you are hungry your blood sugar levels will be low and you will not be able to exercise to full capacity. It is, therefore, a good idea to have a light meal about 1 hour before exercising. During exercise it is also beneficial to use a sports drink (Energade, Powerade, EnerG, etc) to ensure hydration, intake of electrolytes and additional energy. If you do a very strenuous workout you also need to eat some carbs after the session to replenish your body's stores of glycogen in the liver and muscles.
2) One cannot really predict if you are going to burn off all the energy you have ingested at a meal within 1-2 hours of working out. This depends on many different factors: how actively you exercise and for how long, how much energy you have obtained from your food, to what extent the exercise increases your basic metabolic rate (which will in turn depend on your age, gender, body size, etc).
Hope this helps

1
Posted by: Crystal | 2008/09/05

Excellent advice,
Will help lots.

Thank you for making yourself available to help people like me.

Reply to Crystal