Question
Posted by: XXX | 2011/01/22

Eating and exercise

Hallo there

I just wanted to find out when should one eat, before or after the exercise and how long before or after. I finish work late and get home around 7. I try doing some spinning but not sure what is the best time to eat and what one should eat.

Thank you in advance

Practically, you can't eat too soon BEFORE exercise because of the stomach problems it can cause. So that means that if you are able to train at say 7.30, you have to eat by 6.30, at the latest. If it's a big meal, then even earlier.

The alternative is after - it's a good idea to have something after you train, because you replace the energy you just used. Here again, some people find that they have no appetite to eat anything immediately, which is fine, as long as at some point they replace the energy.

If you can finish training at 8.30 and eat right away, that's probably not a bad strategy, because at least you aren't eating at 10pm, which might affect your sleep.

So my suggestion is to try for something light around 5 to 6pm (so that you have energy during training), and then have a meal afterwards, but not so late that you can't sleep properly!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/31

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc