Question

Eating after training

Would it be a good idea to have a slice / half a slice of low GI bread with a little bit of peanut butter on before or after I train or is it better to have it as breakfast?

Dear Eating After Training
It depends on how actively you exercise. If you do really strenuous exercise every day then you need to have some high-GI carbs before, during and after training to replenish your glycogen stores in the liver and muscles (use energy bars or an energy drink). If you train moderately and not every day, you still need some carbs before you exercise esp if you do this in the morning before breakfast (have a small bowl of cereal with milk or yoghurt) and then have another small meal afterwards like the low-GI bread with peanut butter. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain information about diets for individuals who do intensive training.

1

Dear Eating After Training